Thursday, March 20, 2014

LETTER 32: The one where Tessa survives an earthquake

STORIES

--We've had TWO earthquakes in the past two days! Yesterday's was pretty small, but this morning at 6:20 AM I woke up to everything shaking and rattling. I screamed, "SISTER McQUEEN!!!!" and she just said, "it's ok, just stay in bed. It'll end soon." haha she was so calm, and right. So it stopped and I took some deep breathes. I think it was just God's way of making sure none of the missionaries slept in (; it really wasn't bad at all, but after 5 months of everyone warning me about "a big earthquake coming our way," it's become a fear of mine.

--We had a busy week, with 3 exchanges and interviews. The exchanges were super great. One of them got cut short due to a flat tire, but it was good. I love working with these amazing sisters!!

--Had some great experiences this week with street contacting. Really felt like an instrument in God's hands, and like He was trusting me and sending me to His children that needed Him. We talked with people at the perfect time, shared the perfect scriptures with them, and holy cow--it was just too good. No way that it was by coincidence at all. 

--Friday, our Zone had interviews with President. While the missionaries were waiting, us and the Zone Leaders had to give a training. So we were at the chapel from 7 AM to 10 PM. It was a looong but amazing day!

--Heather and Natalia are doing well. Heather goes in for surgery tomorrow and starts treatments soon, so prayers for her would be appreciated! Hoping she has a quick recovery and we'll be able to meet with her. 


LESSONS LEARNED

--This week at the training, we taught the other missionaries the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We talked about faith, repentance, covenant keeping, the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end. We set up different rooms throughout the church, and did a "tour" of sorts. I learned so much about my Savior, and grew in love and appreciation for Him and the sacrifice He's made. I encourage you all to take a few minutes to watch these videos and ponder who the Savior is to you, and how you can draw closer to Him. I promise that you will feel the spirit of God as you watch and ponder, and it can change you as it has me. 



I think that's probably what's made the biggest impact on me. It was an indescribable experience getting to spend 12 hours with these missionaries I love and respect, talking about our Savior and crying alongside them. Something I won't soon forget! I think as missionaries, and even just as people, we're so quick to forget our own relationship with the Savior. We teach people all day, but first and foremost, we are children of God. I am His daughter, and He loves me. I need the Atonement in my life daily, not just as something I teach others about, but something I'm applying, living, and loving. I hope each of you can remember who the Savior is to you.

ALMA 7
 11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and aafflictions andbtemptations of every kind; and this that the word might befulfilled which saith he will ctake upon him the pains and thesicknesses of his people.
 12 And he will take upon him adeath, that he may bloose the bandsof death which bind his people; and he will take upon him theirinfirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according tothe flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to csuccorhis people according to their infirmities.
 13 Now the Spirit aknoweth all things; nevertheless the Son ofGod suffereth according to the bflesh that he might ctake upon himthe sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressionsaccording to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this isthe testimony which is in me.

Hope you all have a good week! 

--Sister Bishop


Exchanges with Sister Hancock in Valencia


At interviews all day Friday


The elders door bell ditched us and left us a bunch of food (:





No comments:

Post a Comment