Sunday, March 9, 2014

LETTER 31: The one where Tessa meets Sister McQueen

Since I know you're probably dying to know, we'll start out with the cool information first!! My new companion is....

SISTER McQUEEN!!!! She's from New Zealand. Basically, she's the best thing in the whole world. I love her to death already. She's assigned to serve in the Temple Square mission in Salt Lake and has been there for 9 months. The Temple Square mission is a little unique in that the missionaries all serve for 3-4 months in another part of the country to gain experience in the field. So Sister McQueen just arrived here from Salt Lake to have her outbound portion in San Fernando, and I'm lucky enough to be her companion! (: She has the coolest accent, and I keep finding myself accidentally saying things with an accent. People love listening to her talk, which is a plus because it gives us more time at doors (: 

STORIES

--My sweet trainer Sister Rhoades went home this week. It was bitter sweet! She was able to sleep over at our apartment the last night of her mission. It was so nice to be with her again, she means the world to me and I know she'll do great things back in Alaska!!

--We've been working hard and seeing miracles. Going finding a lot! We found a few new investigators--Jaune and Haruka were former investigators and we started teaching their family again, which I'm very happy about. We also knocked on a lady's door last night and she let us in right on the spot and we taught her and her 3 little girls. So neat! 

--It was pouring for 2 days this week, which made things tricky. It's difficult juggling your scriptures and planner and umbrella. We basically got drenched and I quickly realized I have absolutely no shoes or clothes suited for rain! Luckily the rain is gone and it's back to the sunny, 70 degree California that I know and love. 

--We had a Sister Training Leader meeting for basically the whole day Wednesday, it was amazing! We just doubled the amount of our STL's, which is really neat. There's a big group of us now!


LAUGHS

--Yesterday we walked up to a group of four teenagers. We're talking with them for a bit and ask "what do you know about Mormons?" and one kid, while walking towards us with open arms, says: "Mormons need love." and hugs us. hahah it was way funny.

--We knocked on a door and two young Indian guys open the door. They're Muslim, and kept insisting that we come inside and drink coffee with them, both of which are against the mission rules haha. So we explained no, but they still insisted that they give us coffee. So they gave it to us, and we just dumped it out right in front of them--but they said "perfect." Haha it was an interesting contact, they were very kind though. (I really do love all the cultures here, and I'm not dissing their culture at all--it was just unique.)

LESSONS LEARNED

--Repentance: we repent to show our love and appreciation for the Savior. If we aren't consistently and sincerely repenting, we aren't appreciating our Savior's sacrifice for us. We're setting it as naught. 

--Sister McQueen is amazing and I'm learning tons from her. I'm learning a lot more how to really "teach people not lessons." I'm working hard on focusing on the individual and where they are at spiritually, and what will best help them grow closer to Christ--that's what it's all about. Gotta start with the first principle of the gospel--increasing their faith--before they'll get to baptism. It doesn't necessarily matter if we teach them the whole Restoration if they're not open to receiving it, it wouldn't even be effective. We have to start where they are at and build up.

--I've also been studying "My Purpose" in Preach My Gospel lots and it's one of my very favorite chapters and things to learn more about!! Seriously everything is TONS better when I understand my purpose and focus on that. I'm working to have my faith in Christ be my driving factor for finding, for exercising, for teaching--every aspect of missionary work. What am I thinking about when I'm out knocking? Am I thinking about myself and dwelling on what I did or didn't say? Or am I thinking of Christ and focusing on the spirit? It just puts things in perspective. Really trying to be other-centered and Christ-centered. I have a testimony that cannot be shaken, and it really doesn't matter how people treat me. This gospel is simple and true. 

--I'm realizing how big of a role prophets are in God's plan for us. Just as Jesus Christ created the earth under the direction of Heavenly Father, prophets now lead and guide the earth under the direction of Jesus Christ. God's plan involves prophets so that we may have that guidance here on the earth. He gave us Christ, but also knew we'd need constant revelation and direction--not only through our personal prayers, but for the whole earth. We have a pure and simple plan to return to God, and we have the pure and simple authority from God to help us make those promises necessary to return to Him. That's what it's all about.


So there's my ramblings for this week! I love and miss you all, but things are going so great here. I just love missionary work with my whole heart. I love this gospel. I love Jesus Christ. He's my Savior, my brother, and my best friend. There's nothing better.


Lots of love,
Sister Bishop

With the new missionaries we took out proselyting in North Hollywood their first day





With our momma, Sister Rhoades

The New missionaries

Them again...with us (:

Last day with Sister Naylor!

Rainy day

It's a tradition to get In-n-Out the day before fast Sunday (: stock up on calories haha

Bowling this morning with the zone

Bishop and McQueen--good combo. (:

At the family history center with our favorite Sister Davis!


No comments:

Post a Comment