Sunday, November 10, 2013

LETTER 17: The one where Tessa is a missionary for Halloween

What a wonderful week it's been here in CA! We've been working lots with the members here, going out knocking, and just living the life! Missionary work is the beeeeest. Loving that it's November and I rarely ever have to wear a jacket (: 

STORIES

--Remember the man I mentioned last week, Steve? Well we've talked with him many times, and finally got to teach him! At the end of the first lesson, he says, "Oh yeah, I was going to a Mormon church in Idaho a long time ago. I think I got baptized!" Haha say whaaat? That threw us off. So we figured out his story, and it turns out, yes--he was baptized a while ago, and he doesn't remember anything about the gospel. So we are re-teaching him the lessons, and he is crazy prepared to come back to church! We had multiple lessons, and he came to church yesterday (: He reminds me a lot of Glenn, which I love. It's incredible to see how God has reached out to Steve again, at the perfect moment when he is ready to come back. I love it!!

--Ok this was pretty crazy, but I have to tell a back-story first. A week or two ago, we ran out of toilet paper so we went to the grocery store to buy some, and the cashier guy was teasing us that we were probably going toilet-papering. Haha so we joked with him how we were going to get his house, and "he better watch out!" Well, this last week we went out finding and had a name and an address of a guy named Nick that missionaries had talked to a while ago. We knock on the door, and guess who opens? Yep--the cashier guy! Hahah we were so shocked. Then we could not stop laughing, joking with him "we told you we'd find you!!" We totally seem like the biggest stalkers, and I think he's legit worried now that we're going to toilet paper his house haha. Super funny.

--Happy Halloween!!!  We dressed up as missionaries, super creative, I know. (; Haha it was a good Halloween, not much happened aside from weekly planning and going out contacting! It was fun to mix things up when we were out knocking, the Halloween decorations were a good conversation starter. "You realize you have a dead body on your porch, right?" Yes, we used that. (:

--Friday I went on my first exchange as a Sister Training Leader! As a STL, we switch companions for 24 hours with another set of missionaries. We do this for training purposes, etc. I went to Canyon Country with Sister Wensel! It was super fun. I was nervous, but it went really well and we both learned a lot. Had some great experiences and definitely saw miracles! 


FUNNIES

--Talking with Bri, one of our investigators: "He was like a Jesus Power-Ranger!!" hahah she was talking about a previous Elder who taught her who, apparently, was very enthusiastic about the gospel!!

--We knocked on a door and waited for a minute, then a teenage kid opens the door and sees us and just screams, "ahh!!!" hahah he didn't hear us knock, so he was just leaving his house and we really startled him. Super funny. Surprise! (:

--Friday afternoon there was a baptism for another set of missionaries. We have the chapel keys, so we went to open up the baptismal font for them. Buuut we didn't have keys to the side door that leads to the font, so I had to jump over the glass and drop down into the font to open the door from the inside. Hahah if you've ever seen one of our baptismal fonts, you'll know how much skill that took, especially in a skirt. (; It was an adventure. 

--Elder Larman and Elder Chandler came to give us some clothes they needed mended, and we gave them a plate of cookies. Elder Larman is like, "If you eat one cookie, I'll eat the rest!" Uhh...ok? So he literally ate a plate full of cookies just for me to eat one. Haha silly elders.


LESSONS LEARNED

--Communication. End of story. 

Ok, not really the end--basically though, I've learned tons about how to effectively communicate. Especially when it comes to the companionship. Learning how to express what I'm feeling and to listen to what she's feeling and then work together to come to a mutual understanding and agreement takes a lot of work! I'm learning tons though and am soooo grateful for the knowledge I've gained, and the patience of Sister Naylor helping me learn how to talk (: 

--I just can't get over how blessed I am to be sharing this gospel. Honestly--this IS God's church on the earth. The same exact gospel that has been preached since the beginning. The same one that Jesus Christ taught and organized when He was on the earth. We are so lucky to have it restored to the earth again, and to have a modern-day prophet. There is more to this Church than getting wrapped up in the frivolities and organization of it all. I think that we tend to forget just how amazing the basic, simple, profound truths of the gospel are. This is God's gospel. It's centered around our Savior Jesus Christ and His Atonement. The knowledge we have through the Bible, Book of Mormon, and modern-day prophets is priceless. They bring us lasting joy, peace, and happiness that will continue through this life and the next. God has so much in store for all of us, and has provided a way for us to be happy and return to Him--the gospel! It is real, it is truly a gem, and I'm overjoyed I get to share it with anyone and everyone I meet. My testimony has just been strengthened over and over again. I love the knowledge I'm gaining, and I don't have words to express just how much I have learned and just how much I love it all with my whole heart!! It is seeping into every detail of my life, and I can feel it blessing me in countless ways. 

Thank you for all your support and love <3 Until next week,

Sister Bishop


Sister Naylor pushed me around in this as I preached from the Book of Mormon. Just kidding...that didn't happen. I wish! Haha


Elder Larman and Elder Chandler--basically the best Zone leaders ever and some of my best friends.


Looks like we're doing a little jig haha. After the jump!


Just me getting smacked in the face by Elder Chandler (; so many things to love about this picture.


Being a dork and showing off a cool tree we found...(:


Sister Naylor didn't want to take a Haloween picture with me...haha that didn't stop me! 


Trying and failing at opening a can of tuna for dinner... final score-- Can: 1 Sister Bishop: 0


Sister Wensel cut her finger open, too! Haha really had to put a lot of work into dinner that night, it was kind of ridiculous.


Just some random California scenery. (: "I'm in love, I'm in love, and I don't care who knows it!!"


No comments:

Post a Comment